Do I need a PC?

Without a PC you will be deemed to be carrying out unauthorised building work and council can stop work on the building.

If work is stopped you will need to apply to council for a Building Certificate to authorise the completed building work.

You may also be required to modify your development consent and Construction Certificate. You may also be liable to a large fine under the EP&A Act.

Back to top

Are inspections mandatory?

Yes. The EP&A Regulation sets out the number of mandatory inspections for all types of buildings.

The PC must advise the owner what inspections are required to be carried out by the PC. Where an inspection by a third party, such as an engineer, is required, the PC will request written confirmation in the form of a report or certificate to verify that the inspection was carried out, and that work satisfies any applicable standards.

Back to top

When can I move into my house?

You cannot move into a house until after the PC has carried out a final inspection and issued an Occupation Certificate or Compliance Certificate.

Back to top

Can I replace a Principal Certifier?

Yes, but you must obtain the written approval of the council or relevant accreditation body, where the original PC is a Registered Certifier.

Back to top

What does a PC have to do?

Before work commences, the PC must inform, preferably in writing, the owner (or their delegate) and the builder of what inspections are to be carried out and who will undertake them.

After work is complete, the PC will conduct a final inspection before issuing the occupation certificate.

Back to top